The Botanical Garden of the National Palace of Queluz was built between 1769 and 1780, and is thus a construction contemporary to the great Baroque-Rococo 18th century developments made in the Gardens of Queluz. Small in scale when compared to its peers from the same period, the Queluz Botanical Garden approaches nature from an entertainment and recreational perspective. Also referred to as the Garden of Greenhouses, during the reign of Pedro III, this was the site for the planting of pineapples, one of the favourite fruits of the royal family. The zone was ornamented with lakes, busts and statues.
In 2018, the recent rehabilitation project for the garden picked up an unprecedented two Europa Nostra – European Union Awards for Cultural Heritage in the categories of Conservation and the Public Choice Award.