Portuguese School of Equestrian Art Gala
Attend a demonstration of Portuguese Equestrian Art and take part in a historical re-enactment of a night with the 18th-century Portuguese court.
Show lasting around 1h30, in which riders wear formal costume, notably the black felt tricorn, long tailcoats in burgundy velvet, with black collars and gold and black galloons, and black leather gaiters.
The horses, of the Lusitano Alter Real breed, wear three-point Portuguese-style braids trimmed with silk ribbons and a Portuguese-style saddle covered in tapir hair or suede. They perform typical Baroque exercises, such as ‘airs above the ground’ and ‘courtly games´, tournaments practised between the 18th and 19th centuries, on festive occasions.
Regarded as National Heritage, and one of the best in the world, the Portuguese School of Equestrian Art is the continuation of the Equestrian Academy created by João V, in the 18th century, and its shows recreate one of the favourite pastimes of the court of the time: Riding.
The preparation activities for the Gala can be seen at the Nora Pateo, in front of the Henrique Calado Riding School, one hour before the start of the show.
PROGRAM OF THIS GALA:
Horse Running Free
- Joquer with Mariana Boavida
Pas de Quatre
- Grainho with Rui Almeida
- Elvético with Carlos Tomás
- Groque with Rodrigo Gonçalves
- Dourado with Luís Raposo
- Gasquete with Emanuel Lucas
- Hojival with João Pedro Rodrigues
- Jacaré with Rui Meira (by hand)
- Lajeado with Nuno Vicente / Emanuel Lucas (by hand)
- Jiripiti with Vasco Gaiolas Pinto (mounted)
- Aómico with Luís Raposo (mounted)
- Gahucho with João Quintas (by hand)
- Hohásis with Carlos Tomás / Rodrigo Gonçalves (by hand)
::: INTERMISSION :::
- Xajeco with Rui Meira (assistants: Carlos Tomás, João Quintas, Luís Raposo)
- Ijaque with Emanuel Lucas
- Universo with Mariana Boavida
- Gniqui with João Maria Diniz
- Hihufi with Nuno Vicente
- Barão with João Pedro Rodrigues
- Hóbelix with Francisco Bessa de Carvalho
- Icanto with Rui Almeida
- Cajabel with Rui Meira
- Jiripiti with Vasco Gaiolas Pinto
- Dihário with Mariana Boavida
- Bambu with Rodrigo Gonçalves
- Jerarquico with João Maria Diniz