In 1843, King Ferdinand acquired Tapada da Vigia, a mainly agricultural property, and, with the help of Baron von Eschwege, transformed part of this land into the ornamental Pena Farm. Its agricultural functions and scenic views offered the possibility of pleasant walks and carriage rides, later enhanced by the creation in the remaining area of the Garden of the Countess of Edla and the Alto do Chá, a hill planted with tea. The Stables were the main support for farming activities. They have been restored in such a way as to respect the original layout and design of the historical building, preserving the area that was used to house farm vehicles and carriages. The surrounding landscape has also been enhanced, offering possibilities for horseriding or pleasant rides in a horse-drawn carriage. A new way of experiencing the parks of Sintra.
NEWS PARQUES DE SINTRA
Travel Photographer of the Year arrives in the Park of Pena including the Portuguese award winning photographer Ana Abrão
Parques de Sintra holds the collective photography exhibition 'Signification: Other Images of the Garden'
Back to Top
© 2018 Parques de Sintra – Monte da Lua - All Rights Reserved.