Parques de Sintra is celebrating the arrival of summer, on 22 June, with an open air concert, at 9pm, in the courtyard of the National Palace of Sintra. The event is free to enter.
In this performance, structured around “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” by Felix Mendelssohn, the music is interspersed with interventions by the actors Catarina Furtado and João Reis, who narrate certain excerpts from the work. The sung sections are performed by the soprano Bárbara Barradas, the mezzosoprano Cátia Moreso and the Youth Choir of Lisbon. Musical direction is under the responsibility of maestro Massimo Mazzeo who is conducting the MPMP Ensemble.
“A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, composed in 1826, takes its inspiration from the comedy of the same name by William Shakespeare, written in the mid-1590s. This tells of the story of an amorous tryst between two young lovers who, prevented from marrying, decide to flee. In addition to the musical moments featuring the participation of the singers, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” is especially renowned for its orchestral sections, particularly the Wedding March.
The program also contains arias and a duet by Portuguese 18th century composers and the famous opening to Beethoven’s opera Fidelio.
– The concert may be cancelled in the event of adverse meteorological conditions
– The concert is free to enter but subject to audience capacity limitations
– We recommend travelling by public transport services
– Parking in the vicinity of the National Palace of Sintra takes place in the following locations:
• Volta do Duche
• Calçada do Rio do Porto Car Park