Documentation of the time, and thus the taste, expresses the curiosity and eagerness of local forms and traditions, in parallel to the artistic demands forms of the past such as the exaggeration of Romanticism and inspirational aspects of revivalists.
Some of suspected influences on the Chalet are cast by the Convent of Capuchos, the Swiss Chalets and the primitive huts of native Americans; all of which are gifted with the rustic character, decoration, representation and dialogue of nature. Built in 1867 under the guidance of King D. Fernando II and the Countess.
1867 - Construction of the Chalet of the Countess.
1869 - Wedding of King D. Fernando II with the Countess of Edla.
1885 - Death of King D. Fernando II.
1889 - State purchases the property of the King, with the Countess remaining with custody of the Park of Pena and the Chalet.
1903/04 - The state purchases the Chalet.
1890/1911 - the chalet was used as the summer residence of the Countess of Edla.
1923 - Summer residence for the President of the Republic, Manuel Teixeira Gomes.
Also served as a small forest museum; laboratory facilities for the works carried out in the mountain range; for 3 days annually as a place for the meals served by the Nunes Hotel that was a summer residence for disabled children.
1930/40 - A phase of Abandonment.
1979 - Improvement works undertaken, with the reconstruction of some structures, Epaulettes and cork-covered areas.
The Chalet of the Countess is considered as property of Public Interest, by decree no. 45/93m DG 280, of the 30th of November 1993.
For more information (in portuguese) also consult:
Teresa Rebelo, Article DN News, 09.07.2000